Nothing is worse than providing a great service or product and nobody knowing about you. Vehicle sign writing is the timeless, cost-effective practice that has boosted revenue for years. Read below to find out why.
If you’re a van owner and have found yourself here, consider it a great sign. Vehicle sign writing is a method which has generated a huge amount of revenue in the SME (small to medium enterprise) market for years.
First impressions are everything. Just like how you would see a billboard for the latest film or fragrance, you need advertising to sell your product or service but most importantly give prospective customers a way of reaching you.
The benefits of sign writing
- Lower cost advertising – this is the first major benefit in comparison to paid marketing through other media channels as sign writing can be as low as £150 for a great return on your investment. If you keep the same van for 3 years, this works out to roughly £1 a week!
- Exposure – According to a study by ARD Venture, it is revealed that vehicle advertising generates 30,000-70,000 daily vehicular impressions (conducted in the US). Even if you convert just one of these people to customers then chances are you will have paid off your sign from their business alone.
- Professionalism – People do see the effort that you go through to create a premium feel for your business. Customers will appreciate the extra mile you have gone to add your logo and contact details to your van for their ease.
- Consumer confidence – A custom van sets you apart from the numerous white vans you see daily that could even be potentially offering a similar product or service to you. You encourage consumer confidence and increase the legitimacy of your business at the same time by having a personalised sign.
The cons of sign writing
- Theft – on some occasions there have been cases where sign-written vans get broken into, as thieves presume there are expense tools or goods within the van itself.
- Insurance – Some insurers deem vans with advertising as a bigger target for thieves. They then use this as an excuse to bump up premiums in some instances.
To combat this last point, be sure to shop around to find the best insurance policies as not all companies will try and increase their prices based on this. There are still many insurers that will give incredibly competitive cover so do not let this hinder your business decisions.
What should I include on my sign?
Feel free to explore your own creative ideas when deciding what to display on your van. A few fundamentals are crucial to include when conveying your message across to your audience:
- Prioritise what you do – You may not be a household name (yet). Remember that Mr Smith & Sons could be anything from a removal service to a plumber, so specificity is key. Let your customers know what you offer.
- Make it clear – Also consider a large bulk of people who see your van will be on the move, so the message must jump out. Bold colours, spacious lettering and wording can really help someone acknowledge your business whilst driving or walking. Do some home testing with friends and family to get feedback on different designs and ideas.
What types of sign can I go for?
Long gone are the days of having to spray the entire van to create a graphic. There are lots of great techniques at different price points so depending on your budget here are some of the methods available (with rough guide prices included):
Magnetic van signs – Guide Price: £150+
A magnetic sign is the easiest to put on and remove. Ideal for companies that tend to have a turnover of vehicles regularly. Be sure to get high-grade magnetism for the strips that are capable of handling high motorway speeds as not having this can be dangerous.
Cut Vinyl Graphics – Guide Price: £350 + VAT (full coverage)
The adhesive used for the vinyl means that the van will remain intact underneath, so this is a great method for full coverage. Smaller coverage may set you back only £70 for basic information too.
Vinyl Wrap – Guide Price: up to £3,000+
The most premium option, popular with business-owners looking to hold onto their vehicles long term. Vinyl wrap can be applied partially or full coverage delivering the most premium look. Heightened effectiveness on larger vans.
What do I do now?
Vehicle sign writing is a cost-effective method to help bring your business the attention it deserves. If you are a small business owner looking for methods to drive more customers to your doorstep then sign writing could be for you.